Christmas with Santa
Thursday, Dec. 5 - Come visit with Santa Claus for fun and pictures from
6:00-7:00 p.m. in the meeting room.
Mrs. Anita Beard
707 Union Road
Tylertown, MS 39667
Mon. - Thur.: 8:30 a.m. - 5: 30 p.m.
Fri.: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat.: 9 a.m. - 12 noon
Walthall County Library
LIKE AND FOLLOW
Thank you to artist, Sharon Smith, the Walthall County Board of Supervisors, and the Walthall County Friends of the Library for the beautiful remodel of the Children's section of the Walthall County Library.
The present library was dedicated on November 18, 1979 with Ellen Sullivan serving as librarian. A major renovation and expansion was completed in 2002. The library more than doubled in size from 4,144 square feet to its present 8,442 square feet. The expansion added a spacious meeting room and kitchen facilities, a children's area, a genealogy room, additional bathrooms and more shelving areas. A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held September 15, 2002 in honor of the renovation.
Although the Walthall County area was one of the first to be settled, it was one of the last counties to be organized. Walthall was carved out of Old Pike County, which had been part of Old Marion County. Old Marion County was originally part of Amite County, which had been part of Wilkinson County, which in turn had once been part of Adams County. The earliest significant community in Walthall County is China Grove, eight miles northeast of Tylertown on Magee's Creek. The creek was the site of several grist mills. China Grove is also the site of one of the oldest churches in south Mississippi. The China Grove Methodist Church was built in 1861 and is still being used on occasion. Some of the earliest settlers, including slaves, are buried in the church's cemetery.
Tylertown was originally named Conerly's Community after Cullen Conerly who, along with his brother-in-law Benjamin Lampton, owned a grist mill, a saw mill, and a cotton gin. In 1879 it was renamed Tyler Town for William G. Tyler and in 1894 became Tylertown. Today Mrs. Anita Beard serves as the branch librarian.