Osyka Public Library

Branch Info

Branch Librarian
Wanda Moyer
 
Hours
Mon., Tues., Thur., Fri.:
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
 
Address
112 West Railroad Avenue
P.O. Box 129
Osyka, MS 39657
Contact
Phone: 601-542-5147
Email: osyka@pawls.lib.ms.us
LIKE AND FOLLOW

Events/Programs

Story Hour returns

February, 2020

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram

About Us

As in many communities, the depression-era WPA brought the first public library to Osyka. Among the librarians were Mrs. Lillie Bergold and Mrs. Kate Ott. All WPA libraries closed when WWII began in 1941. In 1956, the leaders of Osyka gave support to efforts for establishing a tax structure supporting a public library. The effort failed. In July, 1960, the I.C.R.R. Park building was vacated and offered as a possible library site. The Mississippi Library Commission approved the site; the first public library in Pike County under the Commission. The library formally opened August 19, 1961 under librarian Mrs. LLucy Varnado. In a time when many public buildings lacked air conditioning, Joseph Bancroft of Croft Metal Products, Inc., donated one to the newly formed library. Subsequent librarians include Mrs. Brewer Wall, Mrs. Julia Lee Cutrer, Mrs. Genevieve Price and Mrs. Jennie H. Jones. In 2011, the Library was moved into the newly remodeled site, which was previously the Trustmark Bank building owned by Dr. Luke Lampton. Dr. Lampton offered the Town of Osyka a 40-year lease on the building and it was approved by the Osyka Board. Mrs. Wanda Moyer is the current librarian.

 

The name Osyka, as legend has it, was the name of a Choctaw maiden whose early death forestalled her marriage plans. Her father requested that the founding fathers name the little settlement after his beloved daughter. Osyka's first white settler was Jesse Redmond, who came into the area from South Carolina in 1812. The Varnados, along with Leonard, Samuel, Moses, and George, and Samuel and Charity Carter, had settled near Osyka in 1809. After fighting in the Battle of New Orleans, Redmond married the Carter's daughter Elizabeth. The State of Mississippi was created in 1817. The Choctaw Chief, Dancing Rabbit, who is thought to be buried at Chatawa, ceded more land in 1830, bringing in an increasing number of settlers. After the railroad came to Osyka in 1854, new settlers began pouring into the Osyka area. Osyka was chartered in 1858. A Yellow Fever epidemic in 1878 took the lives of 53 Osyka residents and hundreds of other Pike County residents. In the great fire of 1891, town records and many businesses were destroyed. Despite wars, fires, and epidemics, the small town named for an Indian maiden has survived. 

Our Library System can be your home away from home. Stop by and check out any of our nine libraries in the tri-county area. We are here to serve you.