229 East Main Street
Gloster, MS 39638
Mon. - Wed. & Fri. - 10:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat. - 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Gloster Public Library
Gloster & Crosby Libraries Animal Garden 2019
Gloster was created as a municipality by the state legislature on March 12, 1884. Gloster City, as it was first known was named in honor of Captain Arthur Willis Gloster. A Tennessee native, Gloster was a former Confederate officer and chief engineer in charge of the construction of the LN&T Railroad from New Orleans to Memphis. With a population of 2,000, Gloster's economy in 1900 was based on cotton (with six gins) and lumber. The town boasted telegraphy, express, telephones, water works, electricity, two hotels, and two banks. A tornado in 1935 destroyed half of Gloster, but the citizens quickly built the town back. Gloster's present population is approximately 1,787, and its economy is based primarily on wood industries, farming and cattle. Gloster Library was founded in 1959 with the support of civic clubs and the citizens of Gloster. The first library was on Main Street. The library was moved into another location on Main Street in 1967 and again in 1969 to the then new Municipal Building. Finally on January 8, 1985, the present library on Main Street was dedicated. The building was provided by the Amite County Bank Branch of First National Bank of Jackson. Funds for the building's renovations came from the town of Gloster, Gloster Library Board of Trustees, ad the Mississippi Library Commission. Mrs. Louise Seal was the librarian. Today, Mrs. Joyce Waugh is the branch librarian.